Updates in Chapeau

Home Forums Issues & support Updates in Chapeau

This topic contains 2 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Vince 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Porsche Man
    Participant

Hello,

I am brand new to Fedora based distros with Chapeau being my first experience with anything related to Fedora. I hope this question does not seem stupid.

I downloaded Chapeau 23 and installed it on a lesser used laptop. Installation was a breeze and I booted into the install just fine. I then wanted to add some applications so I fired up RPM Extender and as I was searching for packages a notification for updates appeared. I applied the updates and as habit restarted the machine which was fine.

Now…I have a notification icon on the lower left that says I have 2 updates after the restart. When trying to apply the last two updates it looks like the are unsupported or outdated.

Did I not update the fresh install correctly? I’m thinking I should have used Software to look for updates but not sure.

Any help/advise will be greatly appreciated!!!

Also, my hats off to the developer/developers of Chapeau! I have used a number of distros and have been liking the Gnome 3.14+ desktop environments more and more. By far, Chapeau has been the best experience with openSuse coming in second in my opinion. Chapeau is far more simple to use and more friendly to a novice user like me.

Thanks!!!

Mr Leslie
    Participant

The tool you should have used is dnf

If you are using Gnome, you may want to use the graphical interface program to perform an update.

From the command line issue

su -c dnf -y update

Vince
    Keymaster

Hi Porsche Man,

The situation you describe has a fairly simple explanation and there’s nothing to worry about.
    There are two core package management tools in Fedora and derivatives of Fedora such as Chapeau.

DNF is the preferred command-line package management tool. There is also a backend daemon called dnfdaemon. Yumex-DNF as it’s name suggests is a graphical front-end to dnfdeamon.
    Packagekit is a package management daemon that is used by the desktop environment to integrate package management functionality such as alerting you about updates or providing easy installation of package files from the file manager or other desktop applications. Gnome’s built-in search & the Gnome Software application also uses Packagekit.

Both DNF and Packagekit have their own separate info cache, i.e. they each work from their own package status information pulled in from your configured repositories.
    So if dnf’s package cache is updated or you make changes with dnf or Yumex-DNF, these changes will not be reflected in Packagekit until Packagekit has also updated it’s cache.

In your situation it will have been just a matter of time until Packagekit was up to date with the latest changes you made in Yumex-DNF as Packagekit updates itself in the background periodically.

HTH

Vin

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.