Graphics Drivers

Home Forums Suggestions Graphics Drivers

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Mateusz Kędzior 3 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

paulh
    Participant

If “HHT” only caters for Nvidia, I hope that Pharlap will be continued for use by those of us with ATI Radeon graphics.

Vince
    Keymaster

Unfortunately not but did you need Pharlap for Radeon drivers?

I ask because;
    a) AMD’s Catalyst drivers are known not to work on Fedora as they don’t work on newer kernels.
    b) The open source Radeon drivers included in the default kernel are meant to perform relatively OK, no?

Please correct me and send me some documentation if I’m wrong on these points. If AMD’s Catalyst drivers are indeed workable and worth installing on Fedora over the open-source Radeon driver I’ll work on supporting it in HHT.

paulh
    Participant

Hi Vince

As per my other post, I wasn’t able to install Chapeau 22 on my HP Elitebook with ATI Radeon Graphics. It completed the install process but always hung on restart.

I then booted to the command line and did “dnf update” (600+ files) after which it booted properly to the Gnome gui.

Pharlap reports both Haswell and Radeon as installed. I guess this means from the kernel?

The only other distro that I could successfully install was Ubuntu Mate, apparently because it uses LightDM in stead of GDM. (GDM has conflict issues with AT drivers?)

I have to say again, what a pleasure to use Chapeau. Personally, I think it is absolutely the best desktop distro out there.

Vince
    Keymaster

Ah I remember you now.

So yes, HHT is meant to be a replacement for Pharlap, due to various issues it is not practical to continue including Pharlap in Chapeau.

It ended up being less work for me to write my own tool from scratch than to branch and repackage Pharlap for Chapeau, admittedly HHT is not as pretty as Pharlap but it’s the kind of tool the average user is going to use a handful of times ever and it’s currently faster & more featureful than Pharlap when it comes to GPU drivers. Pharlap does however support management of other proprietary drivers such as network adapters etc. and the intention is to get HHT doing this also, HHT’s Nvidia driver features basically boxes it off on the GPU side of things for now.

Anyway thanks again for your positive feedback.

Vince

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by  Vince. Reason: edit

Mr Leslie
    Participant

I have an ati video card. Thus far, no problems with the default Drivers. I also installed Fedora23 alone (without Chapeau), and it boots and works just fine.

Mateusz Kędzior
    Participant

I have hybrid graphics:

• Radeon HD 8850M / R9 M265X
    • Intel Corporation Haswell-ULT Integrated Graphics Controller

Under Ubuntu/Ubuntu derivatives I was able to install fglrx-pxpress package which allows me to switch my graphics card (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1501).

I can’t find appropriate possibility in Chapeau/Fedora, so I’m forced to use Intel graphics.
    Is it possible to use AMD card?

Vince
    Keymaster

Hi Mateus,

The problem with AMD’s current proprietary Crimson drivers for Linux (was Catalyst) is that they do not support the current Linux kernel releases. They only work with Linux kernel 3.19 or older which is fairly old compared to the current 4.2.6 used by Fedora/Chapeau 23. See AMD’s driver details page for distributions that will currently work with Crimson.

AMD GPUs have historically been the poorer option on Linux simply due to the perpetually bad driver support from the vendor. On the brighter side the open-source radeon drivers of recent times have progressed well but has not completely managed to match the performance of the proprietary drivers.
    AMD’s newly announced open-source strategy and AMDGPU driver stack is now superceding fglrx for newer GPU’s and may even make Radeon the better option for Linux one day. The new AMDGPU driver is already on your Chapeau 23 system.

So in the meantime your only option on Linux versions newer than 3.19 is to run the default Mesa drivers included with the kernel. Switching between the Intel and Radeon GPUs in your “PowerXpress” configuration is done by a trick often called vga_switcheroo. See this little testcase on the Fedora Wiki which details how one can switch between Intel & Radeon.

If you want to keep up to date on the latest progress on the the ‘radeon’ & ‘amdgpu’ drivers for Linux Phoronix is usually the best place to follow (link).

Vin

Mateusz Kędzior
    Participant

Hi Vince,

thank you for your detailed response.
    As you suggested I followed a VGA test case.

Unfortunately, I always see: the same string when I type: glxinfo | grep ‘OpenGL renderer’ in terminal window:

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Haswell Mobile

So I guess that switching is GPU is not working on my laptop (yes, I have two entries displayed when I type lspci |grep VGA).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.