Forgotten Password

Home Forums Issues & support Forgotten Password

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Vince 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Gabe BigBillz Simon
    Participant

I started fiddling around with this OS a month or so ago and took a break until I got A book on more tutorials.
    Now that I have the book I forgot my password…
    Is there a simple way to reset it without signing in, or would it be just as easy to reformat my HDD and start over…

Vince
    Keymaster

As discussed on Facebook, as you don’t know the root password either you’ll need to boot from a Linux live disk like the Chapeau live disk you installed onto your system and change the root password within a chroot on the system disk.

To elaborate now I’ve got more room on the forum, one would do this as follows;

* Boot your Chapeau live USB disk or DVD.

* Find the system disk that Chapeau is installed on. You can use Gnome’s Disks application or sudo fdisk -l in a terminal. For this example let’s assume it is /dev/sda1 which is the first filesystem on the first disk.

* Open a terminal and mount the filesystem;
    sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt

* You should now be able to see the contents of the mounted disk;
    ls /mnt
    … to ensure you’ve mounted the right filesystem, displaying the contents of the fedora-release file should show the Chapeau release name
    cat /mnt/etc/fedora-release

* Open a chroot session on the disk and change the root password and you might as well reset your user account’s password while you’re there;

* Reboot back into your Chapeau installation and use your new passwords.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.