Fedora 25 upgrade

Off

Home Forums General Fedora 25 upgrade

This topic contains 11 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Mr Leslie 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

m-ar .
    Participant

Today after Fedora 25 release in Chapeau an upgrade windows popped up asking for upgrade.
    Accepted, rebooted and then another major upgrade to Fedora 25 window appeared.
    This time download process advanced a little and stopped.
    So far I’ve noticed that Hardware Helper is missing and nVidia driver as well.
    I’m concerned a little now what to do next.

M

• This topic was modified 4 months ago by  m-ar ..

Maybe it’s something related with Wayland. Fedora 25 now uses it as the default display manager, as it’s described Here

Vince
    Keymaster

OK, you must be talking about the new ‘major upgrade’ feature of the Gnome Software application.

I’m surprised such an upgrade would complete as there are a number of conflicts in place that should stop this from completing if the required Chapeau packages are not available yet. However I would not be completely surprised as Packagekit is a steaming pile of not very nice things.

I have not been able to make this happen on any of my systems yet but in the meantime I’ll speed up my efforts to get the Chapeau 25 repo ready.

m-ar .
    Participant

Whatever it was popped up in Chapeau asking for an upgrade.
    Finally after another reboot it was finished and in Info window it’s already Fedora 25.
    Anyway system works despite some things pointing at work in progress:

And some things don’t work, like for instance Grub Customizer.

• This reply was modified 4 months ago by  m-ar ..
    • This reply was modified 4 months ago by  m-ar ..

Vince
    Keymaster

Thanks for your update, I wouldn’t have seen this issue if you hadn’t have reported it,

I made the Chapeau 25 repository publicly available last night along with new versions of the chapeau-release and chapeau-repos packages to avoid issues with the automated major upgrade.
    This might require a rethink as what to do with gnome-software in Chapeau 25 onwards, including whether to include it at all if this causes issues.

Vin

m-ar .
    Participant

There are some applications now that don’t open, presenting the following in terminal:

Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

Once I’ve found a solution for other distro I guess – two short commands to be typed in terminal, but not this time.

Any clue, please?

Vince
    Keymaster

It’s likely that the applications you are attempting to run require X11, since your upgrade the Wayland display server replaces Xorg X11 as the default display server.

You can re-enable X by editing the /etc/gdm/custom.conf file and uncomment the WaylandEnable=false declaration.

HTH

m-ar .
    Participant

Perfect!

Thanks.
    M

Mr Leslie
    Participant

Today I ran dnf system-upgrade for Chapeau24. I started it before I went to bed and let it run.

This is what I did

I recall, that during system upgrade, there was a request to accept a new certificate. I did not want the upgrade to stop.

It also seemed to trigger the system-upgrade reboot.

So far, I have no detected issues. All dnf updates refer to version 25

Trevor Lyons
    Participant

I decided to try Chapeau for the first time, since I’ve been using Fedora for the last few years. I also upgraded to version 25 after reading a few posts here, just to see if there were any problems. I used the command line to upgrade: dnf -y system-upgrade download –refresh –releasever=25 (the -y tells dnf to say Yes to any prompts). I realize that saying Yes to all prompts is ‘walking on a razor blade’, yet then again I just wanted it to upgrade without any prompting.

I am happy to report that there are no problems with Chapeau 25 as I write this. It just works beautifully, and comes with all the packages that I usually use on a regular basis. If I can help on these forums I’ll be happy to do so. I’ll also cross reference any knowledge I have with the Fedora forums also since I’m a member there.

Mr Leslie
    Participant

With Wayland, the developers are still trying to figure out how to make the .bash_profile active. They claim from a security perspective, it is dangerous. But then there must be a method to allow a common Linux/Unix practice of having a ${HOME}/bin added to the end of the PATH statement.

I resolved this by adding a bash_profile.env file into the directory

sudo cp bash_profile.env /usr/share/gdm/env.d/

This is the copy of the bash_profile

Mr Leslie
    Participant

F25-20170202 Updated Lives released

What is required to build a F25 ISO (so I presume).
    The date is 5 Feb 2017

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.