Display management

Home Forums Suggestions Display management

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Clive Kneebone 2 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Clive Kneebone
    Participant

I am using a TV connected through the HDMI port to view media played through the PC.
    When switching to ‘mirror’ displays the PC and TV screens default to a different resolution from either display. This is very frustrating behaviour. I often use mirrored (cloned) displays and have to boot back into windows to achieve this, so I know the system is quite capable of running two different resolutions.
    I have spent years (literally) searching for some program or mechanism that will enable this activity in linux. The nearest I have come to a solution is to run a xrandr script which enables a workaround by setting two resolutions with scaling. This give a loss of definition on one screen.
    I was hoping that the advent of CHAPEAU would have included this ‘media must have’ – but alas, another disappointment.

Interesting that the desktop wallpaper manages to mirror perfectly.

Thanks for listening

Vince
    Keymaster

Hi Clive,

I have used multiple displays numerous times on Linux and in recent years have had less & less issues doing so, it just works.

Now am I getting it right that your issue is that the two screens are rendered at different resolutions? When running multi-monitor if your screens are different resolutions then yes the display manager will push out the maximum resolution each screen (and the graphics hardware) is capable of. I don’t see an issue here, if running in a mirrored mode then I think it is normal for the DE to have to fit in the smallest screen and the larger screen to have to show the smaller desktop.

Maybe I don’t understand your post but if you want your two screens to show their native resolutions in a mirrored configuration then your different screens need to be of the same resolution.

That aside I will give you a heads up that Wayland is meant to be able to do some brilliant things with desktop resolutions, ratios and multi-monitor and whilst Wayland has so far only been useable with open-source Mesa graphics drivers we’re very close to decent Wayland compatibility with the Nvidia proprietory driver as well. You can switch from X11 to Wayland at the login screen on Chapeau 24 and experiment.

Clive Kneebone
    Participant

Hi Vince, thank you for your interest.

My screens are a dell with 1366×768 and a Sony Bravia TV that has 1920×1080 res.
    If I set two displays, with each their native resolutions, I am able to drag VLC across and play video in full screen with no problems at all. I would have the dell set as primary showing desktop with icons etc. and it all just works – no prob.

My issues come when I set the screens to mirror the desktop, sorry if I didn’t make this clear. When I do this, the system defaults to 1024×768. I suspect this is like a lowest common denominator for both and desktops look terrible on both screens. I do wish to use this function a lot of the time where I need the desktop to be echoed on the ‘big screen’.

It has always been possible ‘out of the box’ with windows with no effort. I have achieved a similar function by running a xrandr file via a desktop icon using some scaling (I suspect windows uses this technique) but it’s a little flakey and there’s noticable unsharpness.

I guess I’ve been waiting for something to happen with the display manager, but it seems like I tried every DE going with no real change in effect.

Like linux in every way but this. I shall explore Wayland.

Thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Comments are closed.